Quantity Surveyor – Cost Planning
POSTED ON 19th April 2019
Cairn Homes plc is the leading Irish homebuilder committed to building high-quality, competitively-priced, sustainable new homes in great locations. Cairn operates a defined and established business model which brings together the best planners, architects and designers in collaboration with our own experienced team. At Cairn, the homeowner is at the very centre of the design process and we provide an unparalleled customer service throughout each stage of the home-buying journey. A new Cairn home is thoughtfully designed and built to last with a focus on creating shared spaces and environments where communities prosper. Cairn owns a c. 15,100 unit land bank across 32 residential development sites, 90% of which are located in the GDA with excellent public transport and infrastructure links. Cairn is today building on 13 sites in the GDA, which will deliver over 4,750 new homes.
Cairn plc. has a unique opportunity for a high calibre Quantity Surveyor, to assist in the provision of quantity surveying services under the direction of a Senior Quantity Surveyor undertaking pre-contract duties. This role is diverse and will include interpreting information from live and completed projects along with the measurement of planned works to help robustly project construction costs for upcoming and prospective projects. It will also involve contributing to the decision making process driving key project decisions at various stages through acquisition and design development. The role comes with flexible working conditions.
Join our growing team and progress your career with Cairn Homes.
Typically the candidate will be expected to undertake and assist with the following duties:
- A member of the cost planning team tasked with the preparation of cost plans from early feasibility through to detailed cost planning ready for handover to project team.
- Participation in design team meetings through the design phases offering cost advice to ensure the financial viability of the project without compromising the design.
- Ensure that the design team stay cognisant of the most efficient unit types, unit and project layouts and building materials when progressing a scheme design.
- Liaison with project delivery teams ensuring construction budgets for upcoming developments are robust.
- Liaising with the sales teams to ensure specifications and budgets properly reflect the market expectations of each project.
- Taking off Quantities to create Bills of Quantities for upcoming developments, interpreting those BoQ’s to provide site teams with working documents and budgets.
- Interrogation of current project exit costs to ensure real time cost data is informing new projects.
- Development / maintenance of a databank of Cairn construction costs to assist the ongoing Cost Estimation and Financial Appraisal process.
- Prepare Part V applications to Local Authorities and follow those submissions to ensure compliance is achieved.
- Contribute to the annual budget process through re-assessments of future site development costs and feasibility using current detailed and macro cost data.
- Ensure Cubit is the QS tool of choice including support to the site teams on the extraction and in/out of information from the software.
- Attend meetings and undertake site visits.
- Post-Graduate experience in PQS or Contractors office.
- An ability to achieve demanding time and quality targets.
- Good IT skills with competency at Buildsoft-Cubit, Cost-ex or equivalent, Microsoft Word and Excel
- A willingness to attend training and to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills.
- To have strong analytical skills and ability to present findings
- To have good spoken and written communication skills
- To be methodical, pay attention to detail and be accurate
- To be good at working with people at all levels and willing to work in a team.
- To be self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative
- To be able to co-ordinate a number of different projects at the same time.
- To be willing to accept responsibility for completing designated tasks.
To join our growing team, email your CV to email@example.com.